Vietnam Deel 2

Essay: Space research

Via Minh.

Assignment: Some people think space research is a waste of money while others argue that it is a necessity. Discuss both views and give your own opinion. Write an essay of minimum 250 words.

Original essay from Nữ, Grade 11 (17 year)

Space research is scientific research done in outer space. It covers many areas of science such as earth observation, physical space ... however, it has several important roles and also some negative points to our lives.

Space research is a research area that needs to be creative and interested in research. Some people believe that studying space is a necessary job. This idea is only true in some way. It tells us more about the universe where we live. For example, when studying space, scientists can detect life on other planets. And scientists have concluded that humans can live in Mars. However, some say that studying space is not necessary because it costs a lot of money. This idea is not necessarily wrong. Although studying space is necessary, it only accounts for a small part of life. We should not spend too much time and money on space research because it is sometimes not possible to get the results we want.

Personally, I agree with the idea that studying space is a waste of money. I don't know much about space research, so the opinion I give may be just my subjectivity. But objectively speaking, studying space is expensive. In order to study space we need to have many devices. However, items to make such devices are expensive. So, I think we should focus more on practical issues in life

Space research is a progressive area of scientific research. It represents the level of development of our country. But it is also a double-edged sword if we don't consider it before doing it

Hanoikids – Tours with a unique twist

The Hanoikids members are seen in this supplied photo.

Every now and then something pops onto my radar that restores my faith in humanity and the way the world is going.

Recently I saw a documentary on television about various tour offerings in Hanoi. Included were several creative options such as food, jaunts into colourful old neighborhoods, tours by motorbike, and even evening beer tours.

One of the groups stuck out from the bunch, an organization called
https://HanoiKids.org/, a student-run “travel mate” service featuring tours of the sights of Hanoi. Most intriguing about Hanoikids is their tours are free.

That’s right – free of charge! In today’s commercial world that’s pretty remarkable.

Hanoikids is a team of volunteers who go to university full-time yet manage to eke out a few hours here and there to conduct tours for English-speaking visitors from overseas. Juggling full-time studies and part-time work is already plenty, then adding volunteer activities to that makes for a packed schedule.

Hanoikids piqued my curiosity because the obvious motivation for the students who run the tours is they get to practice English with foreign visitors, so it’s not difficult to find student volunteers eager to join the team. Since the tours are free there are plenty of visitors eager to sign up, so it’s a great business model for both customers and service providers.

The Hanoikids view is the acquisition of language skills is a strategic commodity worthy of sacrifice that will yield long-term benefits in today’s global business world. They hit the nail right on the head with that thinking!

Hanoikids has been around for 13 years with total membership in excess of 600 part-time volunteer travel mates, of which 60-70 are currently active. The group was started by a small nucleus of students who wanted to transform their school English knowledge into practical day-to-day speaking experience and learn about foreigners and their countries and cultures.

I contacted the group prior to a recent trip to Hanoi to find out what’s behind it all, knowing in advance that it must be a forward-thinking gang. Sure enough, they jumped all over it when I asked for a meeting and sent not one, but two sharp university students to tell me about it: Ms. Mai and Ms. Hien. And they are sharp, let me tell you. Both women are nearing the end of their studies in economics at the Foreign Trade University and gearing up toward professional careers.

Mai and Hien have each run 50 to 60 tours over the last couple of years, so it’s a schedule that can fit with studies, part-time jobs, and family life. When I asked what motivated them to join Hanoikids, they replied almost in unison that they had sought real “on the ground” practice in English after many years of language studies focusing on grammar and spelling (yuck).

That practical experience is the key to the whole shooting match, especially in Asian countries where students can read and write like there’s tomorrow, yet get few opportunities to hone their vocal skills. Unfortunately, the only way to learn to swim is to jump in, and that means getting wet.

The other benefit Mai and Hien mentioned is they gain valuable knowledge and international contacts for the day when they have opportunities to travel abroad, hopefully in the not-too-distant future.

And that they’ve done: Foreign tour participants come from roughly 20 countries around the world including the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and other countries where English is widely spoken such as Malaysia and Singapore. The truth is I had trouble keeping up with them, never mind needing to “dumb down” my English to make it easier for them to understand.

The team offers half-day morning, afternoon, and evening tours of the main sights of Hanoi, thus leveraging their university schedules and lecture times. Flexibility is the flavour of the day, so the group tries to comply with requests from tourists who wish to visit sights off the beaten track.

Most foreign travel mates are first-time visitors to Hanoi with a list in hand such as Hoa Lo Prison, the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, Old Quarter, Temple of Literature, Hoan Kiem Lake, and so on. The food in Hanoi is tremendous, so Hanoikids takes people on food tours as well. Fact is one could go to Hanoi, eat everything and see nothing, and still go home with a wonderful memory of the city!

When incremental costs are involved, such as special transportation or food, the team provides estimates to their guests, who in turn foot the bill. The guides accept no tips, only token souvenirs that visitors sometimes bring with them. For those who insist on chipping in (but it’s by no means expected) they are welcome to donate to Hanoikids to cover their operating expenses.

During our discussion I began wondering if it would be feasible to create a business model for their tours which would include both free and paid options. Turned out we were all already on the same page as one of the challenges the team is working on: developing a sustainable long-term business model.

As much as it’s a worthy cause people can’t volunteer forever.

This Hanoikids real-life scenario plays right into the hands of those two economics students. What better way to convert theory into reality than to manage the transformation of a non-profit cause into a successful private enterprise?

The challenge for the organization is to retain its free tours while developing optional new premium tours that generate income. This way the unique identity and integrity of Hanoikids remains intact while new revenue-generating offerings are marketed.

We discussed increasing exposure by leveraging other similar existing tour options. Local volunteers in many countries offer similar free tours, so Hanoikids could join some of those groups. We’re also making a list of travel-related Facebook groups and will join some to gain more followers.

It may be feasible to create single day or overnight premium tours from Hanoi to some spectacular nearby sites, such as the Trang An complex in Ninh Binh Province, less than two hours away by car. The complex features spectacular caves, rivers, and the Bai Dinh Pagoda.

Ha Long Bay also popped up in the discussion, especially now that a new expressway has reduced travel time from Hanoi to less than three hours. Sapa, further to the north, has grown immensely in popularity and would fit nicely into a two- or three-day trip.

The greatest aspect of the discussion is the Hanoikids team is well-equipped to succeed and grow on any new ventures they undertake. Reminds me of the old adage: “Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach them how to fish and they eat for a lifetime.”

Look out for these kids going forward – they already know how to fish. Let’s see if they can catch a few with all the great experience they’ve gained!

Hanoikids – Tours with a unique twist - Tuoi Tre News

Iets voor wie op vakantie in Hanoi terecht komt? Bekijk dan zeker even hun website. Ton laat trouwens de komende dagen in zijn vervolgverhaal zien hoe het ook kan gaan.

Een maandje Vietnam: september 2018 (4)

Na eerder mijn belevenissen in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) te hebben beschreven, hierbij het vervolg van mijn reis naar Vietnam in 2018. Dit was overigens de vijfde reis die ik naar Vietnam maakte. De eerste keer was in 1999, vorige eeuw alweer, wat vliegt de tijd.

In 1999 was het voor de eerste keer dat ik Hanoi bezocht. Het leek me daarom interessant om er na bijna 20 jaar weer eens heen te gaan om te kijken of er veel was veranderd. Na zo lang was de kans hier best groot op.

Het was de bedoeling om Hanoi tevens als “uitvalsbasis” te gaan gebruiken om van hieruit twee trips te maken, zowel naar het oosten als westen. Oftewel concreet: de eerste trip naar Halong Bay (een bijzonder natuurfenomeen tevens werelderfgoed). En de tweede trip naar de bergen met de rijstterrassen in de richting van Sapa waar ik nooit eerder was geweest. Hier leven tribes die oorspronkelijk vanuit China Vietnam in waren getrokken,

Maar ik begin in Hanoi, de hoofdstad van Vietnam. Ik was benieuwd of er veel was veranderd. Het hotel dat ik boekte was in dezelfde wijk als in 1999. Wat opviel was de toename van het verkeer en dat vrijwel iedereen een mobieltje in de handen had.

Het leek me nog drukker als toen, voor de fietsen waren vooral Honda brommers in de plaats gekomen en er reden meer auto’s in modernere modellen, vooral Japanse merken. De eerste dagen bracht ik door in straten en wijken in Hanoi en probeerde weer wat bekende plekken terug te vinden. Al moest ik me hierin wat beperken omdat m’n oost-west trips nog op het programma stonden. Van het Hoan Kiem Lake, een meertje in de stad, had ik nog goede herinneringen. Midden in het meertje ligt het Turtle Island met erop iets wat op een tempeltje lijkt.

Het meertje is omzoomd met groen, bloemen en bomen wat een verkoelende schaduw geeft. Er loopt een wandelpad omheen met overal bankjes met zicht op het meertje. Zowel Vietnamezen als toeristen zoeken hier ontspanning of rusten uit, Ouders met kindertjes en oude van dagen vinden hier verpozing zonder last van het verkeer te hebben. Restaurants, ijssalons en terrasjes volop. Vooral in het weekend is dit een geliefde ontmoetingsplaats waarbij allerlei activiteiten plaatsvinden, zowel overdag als ’s avonds waarbij de kleurige verlichting goed tot z’n recht komt door de weerkaatsing op het meertje. Wat opvalt is hoe vriendelijk de vietnamees doorgaans is, vaak een groet en glimlach op het gezicht.

Een maandje Vietnam: september 2018 (5)

Op één van die dagen, waarbij ik lekker op een bankje zat, werd ik diverse malen aangeschoten door studenten met de vraag:” may I practice my English, sir?” Het leek mij wel leuk om op deze wijze wat contact te hebben. Al is de diepgang van de vragen die ze stellen, best beperkt. Meestal ging het over waar ik vandaan kwam, wat voor beroep ik had en wat ik van Vietnam vond. Het ging er bij hun vooral om, de uitspraak beter te ontwikkelen want dit was bij sommigen ronduit slecht, soms begreep ik niet eens wat ze precies bedoelden.

Maar er waren ook uitschieters bij, vooral bij meisjes die het toch iets beter doen dan de jongens. Toen op een keer een meisje vroeg om de Engelse taal te oefenen, leek me wel leuk maar voor ik het wist groeide het aan tot een hele groep. Er leek wel een tactiek aan ten grondslag te liggen door eerst een meisje in te zetten en vervolgens kwamen de “mede-studenten” overal vandaan. Slim gevonden en ik moest er ergens wel om lachen. Aan het eind van het interview nog email-adressen uitgewisseld en na m’n vakantie nog foto’s uitgewisseld waarbij ik tussen de hele groep sta.

Ook ’s avonds reuze gezellig met muziek van orkestjes en dansers, goochelaars en tekenaars die je na willen tekenen. Misschien studenten van de kunstacademie?

Op een andere dag een wandeling gemaakt door andere wijken waarbij ik weer uit kwam bij het West Lake en de Red River. Ook hier allerlei activiteiten, tai chi, badminton, fitness of bordspellen al dan niet met gok-elementen? Wandelend door sommige straten en bomenlanen herken je nog gebouwen met een koloniale achtergrond vanuit de Franse periode, de stokbroodjes (Bah mi) versterkte dit gevoel nog meer.

Wat ook bijzonder is dat er straatjes zijn waarbij zaakjes zijn die gezamenlijk dezelfde producten maken of met gelijke ambachten bezig zijn om dit te verkopen. Zo zijn er bijvoorbeeld straten die alleen maar metalen emmers en teilen maken. In een andere straat zie je alleen maar lederen producten en zelfs straten waar je alvast een grafsteen kunt laten maken al dan niet met een portret.

En nu maar voorbereiden op m’n trip naar Halong Bay, ook om hier foto’s te maken want 19 jaar geleden was er vrijwel nog geen sprake van digitale fotografie……

Prik

We ontvingen een sms van het elektriciteitsbedrijf dat morgen tussen 8:00 en 13:00 de elektriciteit is afgesloten.

Ze beginnen het een klein beetje te leren. Maar met deze melding hebben we ook meteen iedere vorm van plannen en meedenken wel gehad.

Morgen om 9:00 is de eerste vrije training van de F1. Die mis ik dus zeker.

Om 13:00 is de tweede. En aangezien de gemiddelde Vietnamees (minimaal alle bouwvakkers) van 11:30 tot 13:30 met lunchpauze gaat heb ik er weinig vertrouwen in dat ik die wel kan zien.

Eikels.

Ik ga dan nu maar beginnen met alle wekelijkse werkzaamheden van de vrijdag, die prik vereisen.

Zucht…

Je eigen grafsteen alvast laten maken heeft wel wat, een soort van selfie in steen of marmer.... Maar wat doen ze daar nou meer, cremeren of begraven?

De prik ging er pas om 8:30 af. "Optimist" als ik ben verwachtte ik dus een vroegste inschakeltijd van ca. 15:00.
Maar nee, onvoorstelbaar, maar rond 11:00 waren we weer aangesloten. Duimen dat het de rest van het weekend zo blijft.

Laatst bewerkt:
Is een aggregaat dan geen optie?
Die heb ik n.b. staan. Vroeger wel gebruikt, maar het ding maakte zoveel herrie… En ik wilde op een gegeven moment de stilte eigenlijk ook niet verstoren. Inmiddels is de accu gaar en denk ik niet dat hij echt goed zal lopen. Goed idee, misschien een leuk sleutelprojectje. Ik ben per slot van rekening niet voor niets heeeel lang geleden in militaire dienst aggregaatmonteur geweest (Bauscherboer).

Je eigen grafsteen alvast laten maken heeft wel wat, een soort van selfie in steen of marmer.... Maar wat doen ze daar nou meer, cremeren of begraven?
Dat zie je hier best veel, die foto’s op grafstenen. Hé, misschien aardig voor een fotoshoot. Ik zal Minh eens laten informeren, of zoiets ook hier redelijk in de buurt zit.

Cremeren wordt steeds populairder in Vietnam. Een schatting van Minh is, dat het nu ca. 50/50 is.

Essay: Hobbies

Via Minh.

Assignment: Some people believe that hobbies need to be difficult to be enjoyable.
To what extent do you agree or disagree? Write an essay of minimum 250 words.

Origional essay from Mai Hân Grade 9, 15 years old, living in HCMC, study with me via Skype:

Some peole believe that hobbies need to be difficult to be enjoyable. I dont agree with this statement. Everyone always have their own hobbies which would be playing sports, playing video games, or reading book. In my opinion, hobbies are what you can do regularly and make you happy. Hobbies dont need to be challenging in order to be pleasure. one example of an activity that is easy for most people is swimming. This hobby requires very little equipment, it is simple to learn, and it’s inexpensive. When i was a child, i learnt to swim at my local swimming pool, it never felt like a demanding or challenging experience. Another hobby that i seem easy and fun is photography. My brother is a photographer. In the morning on each Sunday he takes his camera and goes to Nguyen Hue street. That’s his hobby, and the way he relaxes. Many beautiful pictures was taken without knowing too much about the technicalities of operating a camera.

On the other hand, some difficult hobbies can sometimes be more exciting. If anyone is keen on mountain climbing, they might think about finding a trainer and practice for months. You would also spend a great amuont of money. When you experience it successfully, you really feel alive. Some people find collect shoes like their hobby as well. Why don’t you choose to collect the smaller and cheaper like stamps? A shoes often cost 1 million to 30 million dong with a real shoes. It cant be a hobby if it wastes so much money. You can collect them if you are rich.

Hobbies dont need to be difficult, let’s find your interest in simple activities.

Eenden

Het was voor het eerst, dat ik eenden in de sloot naast dit achterafweggetje zag. Doorfietsen tussen alle eenden (op het weggetje links van de sloot :+) door viel niet mee.

Vietnam, Netherlands elevate ties to comprehensive partnership

Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc walks with his Dutch counterpart Mark Rutte in Hanoi on April 9, 2019. Photo: Quang Hieu / Tuoi Tre

Vietnam and the Netherlands have agreed to upgrade their bilateral relationship to a comprehensive partnership, on the occasion of the 46th anniversary of the two nations’ diplomatic ties.

Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc and his Dutch counterpart Mark Rutte joined talks in Hanoi on Tuesday, as part of the latter’s one-day official visit to the Southeast Asian country. The trip was made on the occasion of the 46th anniversary of the two nations’ diplomatic ties, which were established on April 9, 1973.

During the conversation, PM Phuc stressed that Vietnam always values its relations with the Netherlands. The Netherlands is currently Vietnam’s second-largest European trade partner, with two-way trade recorded at US$7.8 billion in 2018, and largest European investor, with a total registered capital of $9.55 billion.

In response, PM Rutte underlined that the Dutch government and business community want to continue bolstering all-round relationship with Vietnam, adding that representatives of more than 70 leading Dutch firms also joined him during his visit.

Both leaders expressed satisfaction with the active, effective, and dynamic development of Vietnam-Netherlands ties, believing that there is still room for further cooperation. They consented on elevating the two nation’s relationship to a comprehensive partnership to boost bilateral collaboration in all fields.

The two sides pledged to create favorable conditions for the two nations’ enterprises to enhance coordination in such fields as agriculture, economic matters, and smart city development.

The Dutch premier expressed his support for the early signing and ratification of the EU-Vietnam Free Trade Agreement (EVFTA) and the EU-Vietnam Investment Protection Agreement (EVIPA), which help promote global trade liberalization between Vietnam and EU member states, including the Netherlands. Focus will also be directed on ties in climate change adaptation, water management, sustainable agriculture, and food security.

The two heads of government vowed to offer close and mutual support at multilateral forums, namely the United Nations and the ASEAN- EU cooperation. They also discussed the maintenance of peace in the East Vietnam Sea and settlement of disputes via peaceful means in accordance with international law, including the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.

Following their talks, the leaders signed a memorandum of understanding on agricultural cooperation in the Mekong Delta, and issued a joint statement on the outcomes of the official visit.

PM Rutte also met with Party General Secretary and State President Nguyen Phu Trong and National Assembly chairwoman Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan, as well as attended a sustainable fashion show organized by the Hanoi People’s Committee and Dutch Embassy before concluding his trip on the same day.

Bron: Vietnam, Netherlands elevate ties to comprehensive partnership - Tuoi Tre News

Waarom komt hij niet eerst even langs voor een goed glas Dalatwijn met de bijbehorende inside information. Had hij ongetwijfeld een betere deal gemaakt. O-)

Vietnam kicks off first national census in ten years

Nguyen Bich Lam, general director of the General Statistics Office of Vietnam. Photo: Vietnam News Agency

Vietnam on Monday launched a once-every-ten-years national population and housing census to evaluate national targets and indicators of sustainable development.

This is the fifth national census conducted by the General Statistics Office (GSO) of Vietnam in 50 years. During this 25-day campaign, more than 122,000 pollsters will survey each and every household in the country to collect data on such indicators as population growth, migration and marital statuses, birth and death rates, labor, and people’s basic living conditions, said GSO head Nguyen Bich Lam.

Preliminary results will be announced in July, followed by sample survey results to be issued at the end of 2019.

The full official census will be published in the second quarter of 2020, while in-depth analyses of the newly-collected data are to be reported in the last quarter of the same year.

Vietnam’s population is estimated to reach approximately 95.4 million by this year, according to the Vietnam News Agency.

The country's last census was held in 2009, when it was reported that Vietnam had a population of just over 86 million.

Information from the updated census will help facilitate relevant research on Vietnam’s population and housing growth and assess the outcomes of the country’s 2011-20 socio-economic development plans. Strategies for socio-economic development from 2021 to 2030 will also be devised on the basis of the data collected from this census.

Results of the 2019 census will also serve as a foundation for the initial assessment of Vietnam’s implementation of the United Nations Millennium Development Goals, which the country has already committed itself to. They will double as a source of information to build and support the updating of a national population database.

Bron: Vietnam kicks off first national census in ten years - Tuoi Tre News

Tjonge, een echte volkstelling. Ik kan me deze nog goed herinneren:
“Op 28 februari 1971 vond de Veertiende Algemene Volkstelling (tevens Beroepstelling en Algemene Woningtelling) plaats. Het was een zeer ambitieuze volkstelling, waarbij veel meer gegevens werden geregistreerd dan tot dan toe gebruikelijk was; zelfs naar de nachtelijke locatie van de auto's van inwoners werd gevraagd. De volkstelling ging met veel maatschappelijk protest gepaard, met name doordat een grotere maatschappelijke beweging (met name vanuit linkse hoek) was ontstaan die deze inbreuk in de eigen privacy niet wenste. Uiteindelijk weigerden 35.000 mensen openlijk hun gegevens te laten registreren. Hoewel het CBS zelf ook erg bezorgd was over de privacy, daar het juist van het vertrouwen van burgers afhankelijk is, bereidde het – mede vanwege het geringe aantal weigeringen in 1971 – wel een volgende tienjaarlijkse volkstelling in 1981 voor, maar deze werd niet uitgevoerd: bij een proeftelling bleek de non-respons onverwachts 26%. Daarop werd de volkstelling eerst uitgesteld, later afgesteld en ten slotte in 1991 wettelijk afgeschaft, waarmee de telling van 1971 de laatste algehele volkstelling in de Nederlandse geschiedenis werd. (Bron: Wikipedia)”

Als ambtenaar heb ik toen ook meegewerkt. De bezoeken waren meestal wel gezellig. Ook de principiële weigeraars deden dat vrijwel altijd op een prettige manier. Je leerde snel wat trucs om niet buiten te moeten blijven staan: “mag ik even van een tafel gebruik maken?”

Eén herinnering. Er moest een inkomensklasse worden opgegeven. Eén man gaf de één na hoogste op met de opmerking dat, als je niet minstens daar in zat, je jezelf beter op kon hangen. Die heb ik vriendelijk om een stuk touw gevraagd.

Niettemin, een zeer ambitieus project voor dit land. Ik ben benieuwd of ze ook daadwerkelijk hier komen en wat ze vragen. Ook naar hoe ze in de dorpen, waar de straten geen naam en de huizen geen nummer hebben (zoals bij ons), bijhouden, waar ze zijn geweest.

Minh: “dit wordt gedaan door lokale mensen, die iedereen en ieder huis kennen en dus weten of ze al ergens geweest zijn. De dame van de post kan ons huis ook vinden alleen met onze naam op de enveloppe.”
Fred: “in NL werd je om privacyredenen juist niet in de eigen wijk ingedeeld.”

Trouwens privacy? Een beroep door mij daarop zal ongetwijfeld door de betreffende localo worden weggelachen.
Minh reageerde hierop: “Ik heb special naar de informatie van đề luidsprekers geluisterd om te weten of ik je moest aanmelden of niet. Het "subject" van de statistieken zijn Vietnamezen, dus je valt erbuiten. Ik denk dat dat beter is, want je weet nooit wat ze gaan vragen!”

Wat mij weer de reactie ontlokte:
“Wat is dit, socialistische statistiek? Dus in dit huis woont maar 1 persoon? Een afwijking van 50% Hoewel, toegegeven, altijd nog minder dat wat de gemiddelde Vietnamees met wat dan ook afwijkt.”

Maar we gaan het (niet?) meemaken (neem ik tenminste aan… O-) )

Aanvulling.
En we hebben het inmiddels meegemaakt. We werden bezocht door het dorpshoofd, waar ik al eerder kennis mee had gemaakt i.v.m. de herrie. Iedereen, die langer dan 6 maanden in Vietnam woont, wordt meegeteld. Ik dus ook. Voor beide moest worden opgegeven:
  • Naam
  • Geboortedatum
  • Nationaliteit
  • Opleidingsniveau
Mooi, ik verschijn dus nu ook in alle statistieken. :+

JD

Het resultaat van de oogmeting is vrijwel gelijk gebleven. De problemen met mijn linkeroog zij de laatste weken wat verergerd, wat door de scan werd bevestigd. Maar JD vindt het nog niet slecht genoeg voor injecties. Voorlopig druppelen onder het motto “baat het niet, het schaadt ook niet”.

Begin juni weer, want dan vervalt ook mijn visum en kan ik het bezoek aan JD weer combineren met een tripje naar Cambodia.

Op de terugweg een kleine twee uur vertraging. Het begon met een half uur en er kwam telkens een half uur bij. Zullen ze het ooit leren? Er zaten uiteindelijk 30-40 passagiers in het vliegtuig.

Vịt chạy đồng

In Vietnam Deel 2 staat beschreven hoe na de rijstoogst eenden voedsel zoeken op de rijstvelden.

Daar stond o.a.:
“Als het water verdwenen is en men het rijstveld gaat prepareren voor een nieuwe oogst gaan de eenden met een vrachtwagen naar een ander veld. Dit is populair in het zuiden van Vietnam en heet "vịt chạy đồng", wat je kunt vertalen als ‘eenden rennen van veld naar veld’”.

Toevallig kwam ik net zoiets tegen tijdens een fietstochtje. Ze waren al verzameld door de mannen

De dichtstbijzijnde worden gepakt,…

…aan de man op de vrachtwagen gegeven…

…die ze in de vrachtwagen stopt.

Op naar de volgende speelplaats.

Essay: Hobbies

Via Minh.

Assignment Some people believe that hobbies need to be difficult to be enjoyable.
To what extent do you agree or disagree? Write an essay of minimum 250 words.

Essay from Tâm Grade 12, 18 yo.

Hobbies need to be difficult are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. Personally, I believe that each person has a particular point of view, and therefore I agree with the statement.

Many people prefer difficult hobbies. Someone said, "What doesn't kill you will make you strong." Only when confronted with challenges, there is no other choice but to be strong, you will become surprisingly strong. For example, when I choose to study karatedo (martial art of resistance). I was forced to fight the opponent, and of course I would be hit very badly. But that makes me stronger. Besides, it helps me to think, be creative so as not to be attacked in other competitions.I believe that my hobbies with difficulty bring me more joy when I achieve a higher level of performance than feeling higher.

However, many people feel satisfied with easy interests. Like my father likes fishing. Fishing is simple, just have a fishing rod and choose a suitable place. He used to go fishing at times when his mood was not good, his free time. He said that was his favorite thing. But this is boring for me, it never feels like a demanding experience or a challenge.

In short, depending on how people feel about their interests, difficult hobbies can be equally pleasant for different reasons.

Moeilijke, detaillistische en kritische zeikerd? (1)

Ik heb hier, zeker bij een aantal Vietnamezen, de naam nogal moeilijk en detaillistisch te zijn. Kortom, een zeikerd. Zelf vind ik dat best wel meevallen. Er zijn er zelfs enkele Vietnamezen, waarvan ik vind dat ze vakwerk afleveren. O-)

Ik denk dan aan:
Hai, mijn lasser.
De timmerman, die wat meubelen voor ons heeft gemaakt en zelf meekwam om ze neer te zetten, deurtjes af te stellen en ze nog een keer netjes op te wrijven.
De vrij jonge gasten, die het verlaagde plafond hebben gemaakt en waar na het verven werkelijk geen lijntje tussen de gipsplaten meer te zien was.
De schilders, die strak werk hebben geleverd.
Deze krijgen dan ook alle lof.

Er zijn ook figuren als onze overbuurman.
Aannemer.
Beweert hij.
Volgens Minh heeft hij een goede naam. Ik ken zijn naam nog steeds niet en wil die ook niet kennen. O-):+

Ik heb het vanaf het allereerste begin een onsympathiek figuur gevonden (de andere benamingen bij de Dalatwijn) maar hij was de enige die mensen ter beschikking had toen onze tuinmuur na de tyfoon was omgevallen.

Tja, door de nood gedwongen…

Enfin, oordeel zelf maar.

Dit zijn als eerste foto’s van de originele muur met pilaren zonder betonijzer: gewoon gemetselde stenen met een laagje cement er overheen. Ziet er verder, voor Vietnamese begrippen, vrij behoorlijk uit. Het waait alleen wat snel om…

Een paar jaar geleden was al een stuk muur omgevallen en dat is door weer een andere ploeg gerepareerd. De pilaren zijn hier al met betonijzer. Ook dit ziet er ook redelijk uit en is bij de tyfoon ook gewoon blijven staan.

Tja, en dan het gekloot van overbuurman c.s. Eigenlijk wil ik nooit werk laten doen door buren, familie, vrienden etc. Je kan dan moeilijk wat zeggen als iets niet goed is. Mijn gelijk in deze bleek helaas ook hier..

Eén opmerking vooraf. De muur is opgebouwd uit een combinatie van de oude stenen, die nog goed waren, en nieuwe stenen. Dat is een bewuste (vooral financiële) keus van ons geweest en daarover heb ik dan ook geen opmerkingen. Maar wel over hoe het zooitje in en aan elkaar is geflanst. Kijk en huiver…

Dit is de overgang van het stukje oude muur, dat niet is omgewaaid, naar de nieuwe muur. De lijn loopt van linksonder schuin naar boven. Links van die lijn is het nieuwe deel (maar dat is wel duidelijk).

En zo is eigenlijk de gehele muur afgewerkt. Er zit meer cement op de stenen dan ertussen. Ons uitzicht, in welke richting we ook kijken.

Morgen nog wat detailopnames.

Laatst bewerkt:
Moeiljke, detaillistische en kritische zeikerd? (2)

Als je horizontaal langs de stenen kijkt golft het harder dan de Zuid-Chinese zee tijdens de tyfoon, die indirect verantwoordelijk was voor deze typisch Vietnamese bouwkunde..

De afwerking van de onderkanten van de pilaren is ook “redelijk uniform”.

Broddelwerk, toch?

Over de door een foutieve berekening voor ruim VND 2M teveel gekochte dakpannen, de kruiwagen, die ze met een grote scheur in binnen- en buitenband zonder iets te zeggen hebben teruggezet, de trapleer die twee keer zo zwaar was geworden van het achtergebleven cement, de op veel plaatsen verklote tegels door lekkend cement hebben we dan verder maar niet eens.

Dus, zeg het maar.

Doe ik moeilijk???

O, en wie voor deze grenzeloze wanprestatie termen als rustiek, authentiek, cultuur en andere technikolder durft te gebruiken kan een goed glas Dalatwijn natuurlijk vergeten. O-)

Bijlagen

• Muur 5.jpg
    Muur 5.jpg
    127,9 KB · Weergaven: 5
Protocol

Ik moest gisteravond ineens terugdenken aan een opmerking van JD, mijn oogarts, die hij vorige week tijdens mijn bezoek maakte. Zijn grote probleem is dat “Vietnamezen niet volgens een vast protocol kunnen werken”. Elke keer dezefde werkwijze voor hetzelfde probleem. Daar loopt hij nog steeds met zijn eigen –overigens zeer goede- personeel in zijn praktijk tegen aan, al ziet hij ook de verbeteringen.

Als je dan de foto’s van gisteren van de onderkant van de pilaren bekijkt, lijkt dit gewoon een universeel Vietnamees probleem. Op zo ongeveer elk gebied.

Niks zelfde werkwijze. Gewoon wat aan rotzooien. Elke pilaar is onderaan anders “afgewerkt”.

Ik las nog niet zolang geleden een artikel (dat ik helaas niet meer terug kan vinden), waarin iemand over ontwikkelingswerk zei, dat we niet de geweldige alwetende westerling uit moeten hangen, maar de mensen in ontwikkelingslanden hun eigen werkwijze moeten laten houden en daar niets over mogen zeggen..

Ik ben het daar principieel mee oneens. Ik heb nu ruim acht jaar kunnen zien waar dat toe leidt.

Hoewel je altijd aanrotzooien ook als een vaste werkwijze kan zien... soort van "altijd dronken zijn is ook een geregeld leven".

Is het inhuren van een graffity-artist een optie? Kun je mooie graphics opzetten met diegene die het muurtje verkloot hebben... ;-)

Misschien wel vast als werkwijze, maar zeker niet structureel hetzelfde. Waren ze maar dronken geweest, dat was misschien het e.e.a. automatisch gecompenseerd.

Verder ben ik van een generatie ben, die graffiti nog als vandalisme ziet en zeer zeker niet als kunst-uiting. Maar als ik de buurman nu eens hard tegen de muur smijt, zodat hij blijft plakken? Als een soort van hyper-realisme (wat wel uit mijn tijd is)... O-)

Terug
Bovenaan Onderaan